Though Buddhism is non-theistic, meaning Buddhists don't believe in God(s), the Buddha is highly venerated almost appearing as a God-like figure. Here are five reasons why he is so highly regarded and why images of him are found all over the world.
1. He said he was a human being, not a God, and the path he discovered could be found by any of us.
2. His life and accomplishments are living proof that enlightenment is possible for any one.
3. He reveals that it is possible to know and tap into our own inner 'Buddha nature' .
4. Perfection of our Buddha nature is the true purpose of our life and this can be done just as he did it.
5. The Buddha is an archetype, mentor or role model for those who seek spiritual evolution and growth.
For these reasons (and many more) Buddha statues are found in temples, monasteries and homes world wide. Reflecting on the Buddha's life and example provides us with motivation and enthusiasm to walk the same path.