- Illness - disease and sickness have a weakening effect upon mind and spirit.
- Apathy - laziness of mind.
- Doubt - the inability to believe and accept teachings.
- Carelessness - lack of persistence; easily distracted.
- Sloth - laziness of body.
- Worldliness - overly influenced by material desires.
- False vision - blind faith.
- Consistency - inability or unwillingness to sustain a practice.
- Instability - overly affected by blame, praise, discouragement.
All spiritual traditions identify obstacles on the path toward enlightenment. The Catholic Church, for example, has Seven Deadly Sins. In the Yoga Sutras compiled by the sage Patanjali, nine obstacles are cited:
Victor M. Parachin ...is a
Vedic educator, yoga instructor, meditation teacher and author of a dozen books. Buy his books at amazon or your local bookstore.