To cultivate a more serene mind and greater inner calm, try this meditation practice for a mere five minutes.
1. Sit quietly (floor or chair) and place a hand on your stomach area.
2. Breath normally.
3. Pay close attention to the abdomen rising as you inhale.
4. Pay close attention to the abdomen falling.
5. Continue paying close attention as you silently say "rising" on the inhale and "falling" on the exhale.
6. Finally, drop using "rising" and "falling" but simply focus on the upward and downward body sensation.
Do this for five minutes. More if you have the time and inclination.