Ayurveda, India's ancient wellness system, strongly advises that humans spent as much time out side as possible for the simple reason that it's good for body, mind and spirit. Swami Sivananda, a medical doctor prior to embracing his life's work as as a spiritual teacher said one could eliminate many medical expenses by simply being outdoors more often.
Unfortunately, most Americans now spend more than 90% of their time indoors. This in itself can be the reason people are sick, sad, and overweight. Here are just a few of the many benefits to be gained by getting outside and staying there longer:
- Indoor pollution is much worse than any outdoor pollution. The California Air Resources Board also estimated that indoor air pollutant levels are 25-62 percent higher than outdoor levels.
- More natural vitamin D. Sunlight hitting the skin begins a process that leads to the creation and activation of vitamin D. Studies suggest that this vitamin helps fight certain conditions, from osteoporosis and cancer to depression and heart attacks.
- Faster healing. In one study, people recovering from spinal surgery experienced less pain and stress and took fewer pain medications when they were exposed to natural light.
- You will feel happier. Light tends to elevate people’s mood, and there’s usually more light available outside than in.
- Fewer colds. You are more prone to cold when you are indoors or in air-conditioned places. That's why it is a good idea to spend some time outdoors, as the sunlight contains ultraviolet rays that can kill cold-causing viruses and bacteria.