In an experiment conducted at Northwestern University in Chicago, researchers found that by embarking on a regular 30-minute yoga facial exercise program for 20 weeks, participants lowered their average estimated age by roughly three years.
Study participants, a group of 27 women aged between 40 and 65 years old, learned 32 different exercises and conducted each for about a minute for the duration of the experiment.
Movements included opening the mouth to form an O, smiling to raise the cheek muscles and massaging the cheeks with the tips of your fingers. Another exercise involved smiling without showing teeth.
In addition to looking younger, some benefits of face yoga include:
- It's less expensive than plastic surgery and expensive creams
- It's a natural way to improve facial features and therefore better, safer
- It releases tension stored in facial muscles
- It slows down the aging process
- It helps eliminate double chin or 'turkey neck'