Research indicates that flu shots aren't particularly helpful in warding off the illness. Some examples include:
- The Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine has reported that giving young children flu shots appeared to have no impact on flu-related doctor visits or hospitalizations during two recent flu seasons.
- A large-scale, systematic review of 51 studies published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews found that the flu vaccine was no more effective for children than a placebo.
- And research published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine similarly reports that there has been no decrease in deaths from influenza and pneumonia, despite the fact that vaccination coverage among the elderly has increased from 15 percent in 1980 to 65 percent today.
- Life outlook. Those who are negative and pessimistic are more likely to come down with illness than those who are positive and optimistic. Ayurveda recommends an attitude adjustment. This can be done by reading and studying spiritual teachings to broaden outlook and shift into a more positive outlook.
- Vedic counseling to uncover emotional issues and restore balance.
- A healthy diet and eating foods in harmony with the seasons.
- Meditation. If stress is the cause of poor immunity, then establishing a regular meditation practice is recommended.
- Adding a wide variety of spices and herbs into your meal preparation. Turmeric is particularly beneficial.
- Yoga. All asanas (poses) have been carefully time tested to general overall health - mental, emotional, spiritual and physical.