(public domain photo from www.pixabay.com)
Rigor mortis is one of the recognizable signs of death. A body is stiff, rigid, unable to move. Buddhism identifies five kinds of inactive, rigid people comparing them to a dead person. According to the Agama Sutra, these five are:
- A person who shows no compassion in any situation.
- A person who shows no contentment in a happy situation.
- A person who does not speak when it is necessary to speak up.
- A person who is totally unmoved when a situation is so touching.
- A person who is passive when a situation requires action.