In India the cow is a highly venerated animal. It is the recipient of adoration and worship by Hindus and Yogis for a variety of reasons including the following six:
- The cow symbolizes the Divine because it is gentle and generous providing milk, ghee and fertilizer for fields. It provides these in abundance and without complaint.
- The cow gives more than she takes.
- The cow lives simply on the planet using nothing more than water, grass and grain.
- The cow, by her gentle, tolerant nature exemplifies a cardinal virtue of Hinduism, that of ahimsa (non-harming and non-violence).
- The cow instills in humans virtues of gentleness, generosity, and connection with nature.
- The cow is ever giving and under demanding.
(public domain photo from www.pixabay.com)