Wherever the Buddha taught, he invited questions from his audiences. On one occasion he was asked "What is required for one to become awakened or enlightened?" The Buddha responded with list which has come to be called the "seven factors of awakening." Thus, anyone desiring to move into that experience needs to cultivate the following seven:
1. Mindfulness. Asking the right questions about yourself, your life and life in general
2. Investigation. Maintaining curiosity and absorbing teachings leading to awareness.
3. Effort. Enlightenment does not come to those who are too lazy to overcome obstacles.
4. Joy. The process should be joyful, not a joyless striving.
5. Relaxation. Anxiety about the the path or one's progress is self-sabotaging.
6. Focus. Disciplining the mind to become more focused.
7. Equanimity. Remaining calm and balanced especially when life is complicated.
Review this list asking yourself: "Which one(s) need more attention in my life?"